Thursday, April 9, 2009

Flash

It's found everywhere

This is another application that I didn't have to download, yes it comes with CS4 but in most cases it's already loaded onto your new computer.

(Flash Player Penetration, 2008)

The thing I really hate about fancy Flash based web sites is the waiting time while you download their introduction that shows you how good the developers of the web site are. I usually skip it if I can or just avoid the site altogether. However, Flash is a fantastic tool for adding interactivity to a web site that enriches the experience.

There are two trains of thought about flash:

My view
The tool can enhance the communication by incorporating animation and video in the web page and can be lots of fun to use. Although I do admit I hate the adds that keep moving and distracting me from reading the text.

Jakob Nielsen view
Flash: 99% Bad (Nielsen, 2000). Nielsen goes on to say that reduces the usability by encouraging design abuse, breaks web fundamentals and distracts from a site's core values. You just need to look at Nielsens web site useit.com it get a feel of his views on web site design. It's not mine!


Outcome
I concede to Nielsen, Flash is probably not a good for web sites and generally interferes with web design, but I find if employed wisely, it can be great fun to use and view.


References:

Flash Player Penetration [image]. (2008). Retrieved April 9 2009, from http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/


Nielsen, J. (2000). Flash:99% Bad. Retrieved April 9, 2009, from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html

No comments:

Post a Comment