Saturday, March 21, 2009

Email part 4

Tracing emails
After reading a post on the Blackboard tracing emails by one of the beautiful people in the NET11 group, I decided to follow this through further and visit the suggested sites, www.learnthenet.com and www.johnru.com. Now I don't trust every site I visit (cynic), so I also my own searches and found similar information on the Australian Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, so I guess email security is a problem. (not another)

Well it opened my eyes. This was one of those things I've been intending to, or as the Aussie's say gonna address for sometime. It would appear the easy way to fix the problem is to encrypt the email, "Encryption-based email software packages use a technique known as public key cryptography to scramble messages so that only the authorised recipient can read them". I must encrypt soon. However, with all the email noise out there I think it would be unlikely that my emails are intercepted unless I'm being singled out.

So putting it to the test I tried to ping an IP address I received from a spam email but had no luck. They must be masking their real IP address.





Not actually sure what this achieved because I'm at a dead end, just thought it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment